A large hardware store that services contractors had an electrical fire that started in their cash register. The fire spread and caught the service counter on fire. The large building has a corrugated tin-roof that had been sprayed with a sound absorbing paper and foam coating.
This material adsorbed a great deal of smoke from the fire. It had to be cleaned, which meant removing the coating. It did not contain Asbestos, which made the removal easier. Technicians on lift platforms were armed with putty knives, HEPA vacuums and water sprayers transformed the smokey ceiling, it looks as could as new.