It is Important to Remain Mindful of Wildfire Risks in Redwood City
Wildfire Preparedness Aids Fire Damage Restoration Efforts in Redwood City
As with any city, Redwood City has its positive and negative aspects. This popular bayside suburb of San Francisco is most notably a haven for professionals seeking to escape colder climates and the hustle and bustle of other nearby communities. However, these benefits come at the cost of a greater potential for wildfires. These increased risks are due to the city’s natural surroundings and the area’s unique weather patterns. Unlike San Francisco, Redwood City is bordered to the southwest by large wilderness preserves filled with fire fuel. In the spring and summer months, when the weather is hot and dry and winds are strong, forest fires are often sparked in these forested zones and spread quickly into our nearby community.
How to Prepare for Potential Forest Fires
If you properly prepare for wildfires in advance, you can often save yourself time and money on remediation efforts after they pass through. In some of the following ways, you can attempt to avoid suffering the worst fire-related damage:
- Know the area around your home well so that you can determine the likely direction of approaching wildfires and can better plan for them.
- Properly maintain your yard by routinely removing yard debris, limiting tree height, and keeping trees well-trimmed, preventing vegetation from growing too close to your home, and adequately watering your lawn.
- Always watch out for forest fire warnings/evacuation orders and, if possible, subscribe to phone/text message alerts from local authorities
- On days of increased fire risk, when permitted by law, use a garden hose to spray water around your house and yard to reduce the likelihood of them catching fire.
- Prior to evacuating your home, remember to turn off electric and gas utilities to prevent potential electrical fires and gas explosions.
- Make and keep a list of your most valuable possessions to facilitate their removal when you evacuate.
As you can see, there are various things you can do before and during a fire event to mitigate or eliminate potential losses. Therefore, it is essential that you, as a homeowner, remain forever mindful of local fire risks, know what preventative measures are possible, and never hesitate to take appropriate action to safeguard your family, home, and possessions.
What Does SERVPRO Do to Restore Fire-Related Damage in Redwood City?
When SERVPRO professionals in Redwood City remediate fire-related damage, they work to address the resulting air quality issues, soot residue deposits, and associated odors. In performing their services, our skilled technicians:
- Employ cutting edge air movers to circulate fouled air out of your home and filter remaining air with scrubbers.
- Use specialized HVAC cleaning systems to remove smoke particles from your ductwork and prevent them from further spreading around your house.
- Clean up soot residues with dry sponges, abrasive methods, and more gentle peroxide active cleaning methods.
- Neutralize unpleasant smells with Vaportek systems, ozone machines, and deodorizing foggers.
So, if a fire ever ravages your residence, call the fire damage restoration experts at SERVPRO of Belmont/San Carlos at (650) 591-4137 for help.