If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (844) 945-5349

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Food for Mold

7/9/2018 (Permalink)

The paper liner on gypsum wallboard is like baby food for mold.

Mold problems in modern buildings are often the result of tighter construction that doesn't let a building breathe. Tight buildings can keep moisture trapped inside. When indoor relative humidity reaches 60% RH or higher, mold can begin to grow. But mold requires food. In nature, in the outdoors, wood and leaf matter is the main source of food for mold.  In modern buildings that use gypsum plaster wallboards (Sheet Rock) the paper liner on each side of the wallboard provides the perfect food. Damp paper has been called "baby food for mold" for good reason. Paper is processed wood.  In some situations when small amounts of mold is on small portions of wallboard, cleaning (removing) the mold from the paper may work. However, in most situations portions of the wallboard will need to be removed and replaced. SERVPRO of Belmont/ San Carlos will do it right.

Other News

View Recent Posts